FOREST CARBON OFFSETS
Visionary projects like Restore the Earth Foundation’s 1 million acre “North America’s Amazon” landscape-scale restoration shows real promise in combating climate change by restoring huge swaths of land to their original vitality, putting the Earth back in balance and creating natural abundance for all.
Once complete, the restoration will:
Reduction in US emissions
Integrated value generated
Reversal in the impact of the dead zone in the Gulf of Mexico
More than just a dream, this is an action plan that is well underway. The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service and its partners have specifically identified the key areas ready for reforestation. Millions of dollars have been raised.
Partners: A wide array of partners including Shell, Entergy, Dow, VMware and the U.S. Council for Sustainable Development have come together, and hundreds of volunteers have already been “in the mud” beginning the reforestation.
THE BIG PICTURE: NORTH AMERICA’S AMAZON
Forest Carbon Offsets and Landscape-Scale Restoration:
The Business Case
Investing in Restore the Earth’s work is not only good for the environment, it’s good for the investor, too. A natural byproduct of landscape-scale reforestation is the sequestration of forest carbon and the resulting availability of low-cost voluntary carbon offsets.
Innovative Funding: Every $1 of private investment accesses public funding for a total of $3, amplifying the investment, the number of acres reforested and the number of carbon offsets created.
Restore the Earth takes great care in the design and accounting of its forest carbon offsets, which are developed using the American Carbon Registry (ACR) methodology and protocols for Afforestation and Reforestation of Degraded Land. This assures that the forest carbon offsets delivered are:
Real: carbon stock represents real emission reductions that are third-party validated, monitored, measured, verified and registered using best practices
Measurable: verified reduction or removal from the atmosphere in terms equivalent to one metric tonne of carbon dioxide (CO2e)
Additional: carbon sequestered or emissions reduced would not have occurred without the reforestation project – above and beyond business as usual
Assured Against Leakage: all projects include a risk adjust buffer to offset any potential “leakage”
Permanent: all Restore the Earth reforestation projects have permanent, “in perpetuity” conservation easements along with sustainable forest management programs
Registered: all carbon offsets are registered on the American Carbon Registry in the funding partner’s name and are retired
These forest carbon offsets (along with nutrient and water offsets) are assigned in perpetuity to a corporate funding partner, proportionate to the funder’s investment, to become part of its strategic offset portfolio and complement its commitment to minimizing its climate footprint.
Why Landscape-Scale Restoration Should Become a Critical Part of Your Strategic Carbon Offset Portfolio
Benefits of investing in the reforestation of North America’s Amazon include:
- Amplified Investment: every $1 of private funding unlocks public funds for a total of $3 to amplify the investment, number of acres reforested and offsets created
- Offset Credits: verified benefits of carbon, water, phosphorus and nitrogen offsets are assigned to funders proportionate to their investment
- Charismatic Co-Benefits: Restore the Earth’s EcoMetrics provides partners with the ability to capture and report on the full value of the environmental, social and economic benefits created by their investment—documented, verified and ready for third-party audit
- Mitigation of Risk
- Enhanced Social License to Operate: build upon corporate reputation in an authentic and progressive way
- Thought Leadership and Recognition: join visionary environmental sustainability leaders in the vanguard of a highly visible, content-rich new program—the world is watching this bold landscape-scale reforestation project carefully
EcoMetrics: Capturing the Charismatic Co-Benefits
The business case for supporting Restore the Earth’s landscape-scale restoration goes beyond the economic benefits of carbon offsets, to include a full slate of multi-dimensional “charismatic” environmental, social and economic benefits. The co-benefits these restoration projects create(s) for the local communities and economy are fully accounted for and third-party verified for balance sheet reporting.